Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ain't Nobody Got Time Fur Dat!

(Fair warning. I'm talkative tonight...)

Weeeeeeeell, the detox challenge is now technically over as of yesterday! Can I confess something? I don't feel this detox went as well as the first. You see, my goal in all of this is to find health. My body is not the wellest (that is not a word) it should be and I am trying to uncover why. What am I doing wrong? That's what I'm trying to know. During the previous sugar-free experiment, I felt the BEST I have felt in years! But this go-round, I felt less than stellar.

On Jan 8th, I woke up so sick. If puny and pathetic had a mascot, I was it. I needed help getting myself to the Dr because my entire body ached terribly, my throat felt like I was swallowing glass, my temp was over 101, and I couldn't stand or walk far without nearly passing out. All signs were pointing to Mono, but I got tested for Flu and Strep anyway; both of which returned negative. Mono it was. I have had it (and will always be a carrier...ugh...) since 2007 and since then, my poor immune system has been exactly that: poor. I hadn't had an "episode" in years but somehow, my body gave up and I was so very unwell. I ended up missing 4 days of work and many, many hours of my life because all I could do was sleep. And that's really what you're supposed to do. It took me another 9 days or so to start feeling fully back to normal.

But I thought I was getting healthier! I thought I was doing all of the right things! Detoxing from sugar (and frankly, avoiding it altogether) is, as I have been researching, a great way to help the immune system heal. I gave this analogy to my dad: imagine trying to fill a tub with water while the drain plug is pulled so the water doesn't stay. That's what it feels like is happening with my immune system. I am "filling" it with healthy eating but I must still be doing something wrong. I must still have the drain pulled somewhere. I must find where...

While I was resting during this sick time, I watched some very interesting things on Netflix. (I love me some Netflix!) I watched the documentaries "Forks Over Knives," "Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue," and "Food Matters". (Prior to this, I had also seen "Food, Inc.," "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead," "Vegucated") I was noticing a common thread throughout: Organic plant-based nutrition is the best thing for the human body. I was certainly increasing my fruit and veggie intake but oh buddy, my animal intake was high! You could not separate me from my love: bacon. :) But, I am interested and fascinated by the scientific research presented in these films about the affects of animal proteins on the body.

Then, someone recommended I watch "Earthlings" (www.earthlings.com), so I did. Folks, this rocked my world. I cannot condone the treatment of animals in the manner that many large-scale farms do. This film reveals so many unsightly things. Unacceptable. AND, those animals that have to withstand filthy conditions and then I consume that animal? Just because it tastes good? How is that healthy? Ugh. (But bacon tastes so good!!!!!!!! *sigh...)

So here I am, continuing on this journey of trying to find health by ways of good nutrition. I still have a long way to go to understand all of the scientific reasoning behind food but the logic I am uncovering in my research clicks with me. I am going to try a new approach to this health quest. I am going to continue the Paleo diet practices but eliminate animal products. I do believe Paleo is a very healthy way of eating. But I am now not convinced that eating animals is good for the body. (Feel free to feedback on this.)

I really dislike getting sick. It makes me angry, actually. And, honestly, ain't nobody got time to be gettin' sick!!!!

(Enjoy this video: http://youtu.be/bFEoMO0pc7k)

No comments:

Post a Comment