Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Sugar Experiment

I actually never thought I would EVER say this or come to this conclusion, but I think it's time sugar and I end our 20+ year relationship. You might be thinking, "Who is sugar?" Well, ask again. But this time, ask, "What is sugar?" and I will respond with, "Shoog-er. noun. Addicting sweetness that makes life taste better."

(<--- the love of my life, sugar)





I have been experiencing some health issues over the last several years. I won't bother going into detail but let's just say that no doctor that I have seen in the past 5-6 years (or more) has been able to figure out the problem and therefore offer a working solution. I have had multiple tests run, blood drawn, and medicine prescribed but it continues to remain an anomaly. And somehow that doesn't surprise me... But what I am now realizing is that no doctor has ever... EVER... mentioned that my diet and nutrition could play a role in these issues. So, I am going to do an experiment on myself. Kids, don't try this at home. No, wait... DO try this at home. Show your parents who's boss and follow my lead.

I am going to remove processed sugar
from my diet. *gasp!* There. I said it. If you know me at all, you know how big of a deal this is. I am a sweets junky, to the max. I love me some good sweet tea. I could eat cake and cookies and ice cream until the sun goes down or until all of my teeth fall out! So this is going to be quite a challenge, and a painful and emotional one at that. Now, I don't have a working plan just yet. But I do know a few things:

  • I have a TON of research to do.
  • I will likely cry.... a lot.
  • I will blog about this journey, including the good, the bad, and the ugly.
  • I will do this for at least 30 days, but preferably forever.
  • I will track my health before, during, and after.
  • I will track what I eat and what I avoid, and hopefully will be able to educate my readers on the information I learn.
  • I am open to questions or comments from you as I work through this.
  • I will use this as my class presentation in my Nutrition course this semester.
  • I might even actually, possibly, maybe learn to cook.
I want to start ASAP, and will probably launch this sugar-free lifestyle on Thursday, September 29th, one month before my 31st birthday. I don't know how this will go but I do know that I have quite a mountain to climb. But I also know that there will be such a reward on the other side of this mountain.

I attempted to select a few foods at Wal-Mart tonight to help jump-start this journey and, well, I cried. True story. I felt overwhelmed with all of the choices, most of which were not what I could eat (but what do I expect, if I'm shopping at Wal-Mart?). So, over the next few days I must do some reading and find some good recipes and shopping suggestions. So if you have anything to share, please do. :)

This is quite a big step for me, so I am feeling a little nervous about the whole situation. But, stay tuned as I make an attempt to live a much healthier life and hopefully naturally cure myself when the doctors were not able to do so.

-With One L

2 comments:

  1. I love you. It took me a month to kick caffeine this summer and I'm back to addict mode. I felt soooooooooo good when I was free and I know I need to do it again but UGH the detox process! You are inspiring. I will follow you and feel for you.
    -Oscar's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oscar's Mom-

    You are awesome!! It is never too late to start again and get off of caffeine or whatever else you want to get off of. Join me in being sugar-free! :)

    Love you too!!

    ReplyDelete