The irony that is occurring right now is slightly overwhelming. As I am researching more about how to live sans sugar for 30 days, I am eating a delicious piece of my sister's double-decker birthday cookie cake while A&E's Intervention is playing on the tele in the background. I imagine watching the next episode and seeing, "Many of Americans struggle with addiction. This is one story: Alison, addicted to sugar. Alison thinks she is in a documentary about addiction. She does not know she will soon face an Intervention." I am Alison, and I struggle with a severe addition to sugar.
What a concept: sugar as an addiction. It is SO true though. Have you ever thought about it? The similarities of the addiction and the substance that causes the addiction are uncanny when comparing sugar to any other drug. Now, I may get some flack for that comment, but I will retort with a polite, "Do some research. Sugar kills." :) It is interesting that much is talked about and is considered controversial about drugs and alcohol. Please don't get me wrong... I am aware that the addictions to those things are incredibly serious and cause much turmoil in one's life. But, it seems that the urgency to talk about the health issues that sugar causes is not there. Often though, the side effects of sugar are not immediately seen and may not immediately harm someone, so maybe that's why. But under the dermis, sugar is working its evil magic inside your body. Are you educated on its effects? Let's educate ourselves together, shall we?
I Googled "sugar free diet" and stumbled upon this fella's website: http://olsonnd.com/30-sugar-free-days/ Dr. Scott Olson nails it with this statement, "Whenever you eat sugar and foods that act like sugar, you are taking steps towards those diseases [heart disease, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s and so many diseases] in the same way a smoker takes a step towards lung cancer with every puff." Wow! I fully admit that I have so much to learn, and I hope that if you are following this blog that you will be enlightened to the health problems that sugar causes and the benefits that can result if you, too, choose to remove sugar from your diet. 30 days. That's just the start.
So, as I embark on this 30-day journey void of processed sugars, I have been fantasizing what my last sugary treat will be (I do realize how pathetic it is to fantasize about food...). Will I settle with a delectable Starbucks drink? What about a slice (or two?) from the Cheesecake Factory? Or perhaps a special request of my mom's cherry pie? I just might select all of the above. :) Whatever I select, I know it will taste more than delicious. And it will be the last sugary thing I will consume.
Thursday, September 29th is my Day 1. When is your day 1?
-WIth One L
No comments:
Post a Comment