I think my bike is an 18 speeder. I have 2 gear controls: one on the right changes the speed from 1-6 and one on left changes the chain resistance to 3 different positions. So logic and elementary math tell me 6x3=18. I wish I knew what brand it was but many years ago I spray painted it silver and fleck-painted black on top of the silver.
Biking is so great! It's the perfect combination of cardio and the outdoors! And, when your lungs or legs need a break, you can coast and catch your breath but still be moving. I love it! How have I let biking escape me all these years?
I passed a Dad pulling a toddler in a wagon-esk type pulley thing and he had 3 other kids riding bikes around him. The last kid at the back of the line was a beautiful little girl. She looked either annoyed or frustrated. Or perhaps she was concentrating on her rhythm and was in the zone. I made eye contact with her and smiled as I was panting from being out of shape and her facial expression quickly changed to a smile. I couldn't decipher if that smile was that she too enjoyed smiling at strangers, or if she was thrilled to see an older girl also riding a bike which confirmed to her that biking is cool, or if she saw how pathetic I probably looked and she was suddenly more confident in her biking abilities. Probably the latter. Either way, she smiled. And that may have been what she needed. And I panted on...
I waved at an old man scooting along his front yard in his motorized wheelchair. His friendly wave, which was shaped more like a salute, held in the air longer than I expected. He must have strong upper body muscles to keep that salute/wave positioned in the air for that long as he scooted in his Hoveround.
Biking, you are welcome in my life. I am sure there are more adventures just around the bend.
I love your writing, it makes me smile! Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteYay! Thank you! :)
ReplyDelete